Saturday 22 April 2023

The wharf does well

 Earlier in the week I was got a call that an Osprey had been seen at the Mallacoota Wharf.  I went down there straightaway and saw a raptor fly by.  I got a photo!

Cropping the image gives a silhouette!
I did the same to another photo!
I posted those to Australian Bird Identification where experts rapidly picked it was a Whistling Kite.  A friend who had seen those photos said that I should fiddle with the exposure to see if I could get more detail.  So Photoshop Express was consulted.
Clearly a Whistling Kite.  Damn.

The following day another local advised that he had seen an Osprey there twice recently.  So I went back to the wharf on Friday to see whether the bird was around.  Cutting to the chase, there was no sign of an Osprey but the other birds were interesting. An aggregation of large white birds was my initial focus.
They were Royal Spoonbill (20) and Australian White Ibis (58).  A full bird list is here.
A fisherman called in to the island and all the birds took off ...
.. and landed on the far side of the Island.
When purchasing my new camera one of the stated benefits of mirrorless photography was said to be getting better photographs when tracking a subject.  I think this image of a passing Gull supports that proposition.
Little Pied Cormorants
The Whistling Kite had finished one meal and was probably looking for another.  Not a great snap but it was a fair distance away.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.