Monday 10 April 2023

Betka

 There seems to be a fair bit of anticipation about when the Betka River will breakout.  I wandered down this morning about 10am and although I got wet feet as a wave broke over the bar at the Western side of the estuary, I didn't there was enough action to break out before the evening tide today.  

This snip from Google Earth overs the current situation, to the best of my ability.  The waterlines are marked in light blue and my approach in green.

The waves were washing well up the beach at the Western end.  


A look at the bar facing East(ish).
Looking West (again -ish)
This surge is the one that dampened me.
Other visitors were sensible and took their shoes off!
My impression is that when folk try to assist the opening it tends to create a situation which only lets the top layer of water out.  That is where the oxygen is, and when it goes, fish kills occur.  Hopefully a natural opening will not have that effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.