Saturday 25 September 2021

TOPC rules!

On 24 September we walked along the Track Opposite the Pony Club as I thought the flowers might be in good condition.  I was right.

This is a view of the heath near the start of the track.  Note the many stalks of Xanthorrhoea (Grass Tree) left over after last season's astonishing flowering event.

There are many new Grass Tree plants coming up, but it seemed initially that none of them were going to flower.  Then we found these buds ...
.. and finally a flower spike.
We did come across a colony of flowering specimens a little further in, near the woodland boundary.

Acacias are well represented in the flora with A. myrtifolia particularly evident in the woodland.  This track is the site where I have usually found A. mucronata.
Another less common wattle is A. oxycedrus, aptly named the Spike Wattle.
Some orchids became evident when we got in to the woodland.  Caladenia carnea.
Diuris pardina
Glossodia major.
Ricinicarpos pinifolius (Wedding Bush) is common along the track.
We have been unable to name this member of the Fabaceae: hopefully iNaturalist will do the business.  Indeed, their expert on plants in this area has nominated Aotus ericoides: I have 100% rating with this species as I never identify it myself and every time I do so label a plant, I am wrong!


An array of the yellow Fabaceae in the woodand
Some mixes of colours beside the track.

There was not as much Kennedia rubicunda here as on the tracks closer to the beach.
I think this is Platylobium parviflorum, although my photo has cut off the poointed tips to the eaves.
There were a lot of Pimelea linifolium along the length of the track.  We didn't remember that from past visits.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.