Wednesday 1 September 2021

Start of Captain's Creek Fire Track

The idea of visiting this site was generated by seeing some photos of Lyperanthus sauvolens (Brown Beaks) on a Facebook post.  This track has been the most reliable site for that species - and several other goodies.  Within 2 m of going through the gate we saw our first specimen.

As we strolled along we saw many of this species: I didn't keep a careful tally but my estimate would be well over 100 plants.  In this image I have put a red dot above each of the 14 plants I could pick out when looking at a more detailed version of the image.  There were several such clusters as well as many more isolated plants.
Quite a few Caladenia catenata near the start.
One Glossodia major, also near the start,
In the past Caleana major (Flying Duck) has been far more obvious than the Brown Beaks, but on this visit I only found a single Duck.
The track was not in good condition following the amount of rain in the previous week.  I suspect that there will be a fair amount of damage a couple of km along where a gully crosses the track.
However the work done to upgrade the track up the steep hill appears to have help up very well.  No erosion gullies that we could see


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.