Thursday 10 October 2019

Orchids Rule Mallacoota

Having had a stupid yesterday (camera batteries don't charge well if the charger isn't plugged in) I revisited the upper segment of the powerline track today, hoping to find the yellow Thelymitra  buds again.  Slightly to my surprise I managed that!

This map from eBird shows the broad location on the powerline track.  (The major road shown in the road to Genoa .)
The site for the yellow buds was about 500m up the track from where the Miners Track hits the power lines.  The yellow arrow marks the spot where I built an open pyramid over them.
Here is a close up of a bud.
Hopefully you can work out the stem and leaf in this image.
I am not colourist.  Here is a red bud - probably T. rubra.
And a blue bud.  Probably T. ixioides.
The outing became a bit of an orchid hunt so here is Prasophyllum elatum ...
.. Caladenia alata  ....
... and Glossodia major.
I am also not cotyledonist so here are some snaps of a member of the Myrtaceae flowering nicely beside the track.  The leaves appeared to be alternate so probably Eucalyptus or Corymbia rather than Angophora.



Back in the slashed heath an ant was busy farming some lerp.
I thought as I was in the 'hood I'd check on the orchids down Captains Creek Track.  The Lyperanthus suavolens was still around about 100m  down the track.
These are some of a much fresher clump about 2m past the gate!

Thelymitra are also down here - a little surprising given the wooded nature of the area.
The Caleana major (at least 8 plants) are still in nice flower.
I think these are some very pale Caladenia carnea.
Just because its pretty here is a Viola hederacea!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.