Tuesday 8 October 2019

A wide range of life-forms

On our morning walk as we got to the Lagoon Boardwalk (site 1)
 ... and watched a Sea Hare (Aplysia sp) grazing in the Inlet.
 A large Moon Snail egg mass was nearby.
 Later in the morning I went for a drive to the end of the Miners Track (site 2(ish) with the 'ish' indicating that the position on the image is indicative only) to see if I could find any Leek-Orchids.  I found a quite large one straight away.  Although only ~60 cm tall I think this was Prasophyllum elatum (Tall Leek Orchid).

 After a pause to get some showers out of the way I went back with Frances to show her the orchid,  That was achieved quite quickly.  On going for a prowl we found another Leek nearby.  It was much shorter (~25 cm) and paler: I was going for P. flavum (Yellow Leek-Orchid), but my adviser has explained why that was wrong and that this second one is in fact another P. elatum.


 The nearby (well slashed) heath had a very good crop of Patersonia occidentalis (species name reflecting the stems being longer than the foliage).
 There have been some extraordinary flowerings of this genus this year,  Many hectares carpeted with the flowers.

On my way back to town (to buy bread at the IGA) a bear scampered across the road in front of me.  It has been suggested he was not after a Darwin Award but rather the opposite - intending to ensure his genes stayed in circulation.
 I kept my car on the far side of the road for a while so as not to stress him/
 In this position he got quite vocal - presumably requesting assistance in distribution of genetic material - but seemed to get no takers.
 How on Earth could you pass up such a handsome chap?  By this time I had decided he wasn't stressed so had crossed the road.

and watched a Sea Hare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.