Wednesday 17 April 2024

A stroll around the WWTP

 I went for a stroll round the Mallacoota Waste Water Treatment Plant (aka the poo pits) on Tuesday (16 April) morning.  The walk started well with a male Flame Robin almost visible within 100m of the gate.

I shifted a little to get all the bird in the image.
Moving on about 200m some egrets - obviously Horse Egrets - were visible.  

In the first group of ponds there were a good number of fowl present including 5 Pink-eared Duck (numbers finally building up after they all went AWOL in the floods) and 15 Australian Shovelers.   On getting to the big pond I found 10 Musk Duck: as I could see no lobes under bills a review of HANZAB suggests these are a group of immature birds.  They were a tad spread out so I only got 5 in an image.
Getting back towards the end - noting very few birds in the bush - I found Jacky Winter (blue arrow) and female Scarlet Robin (red arrow) on the fence.  They moved away if I tried to get closer.
My list totalled 39 species (after removal of a pocket-tick).  There are a few surprising MIAs including Pied Currawong. Australian Shelduck and all raptors.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.