Friday 11 June 2021

Orchids of Betka

 Following a report by Jenni Watts (many thanks for that) I went to Betka to inspect the Fringed Helmet Orchids (Corybas fimbriatus).  The little beauties were found in good numbers.  They are tiny, and surprisingly well camouflaged, so being careful where one is placing one's hooves is important.

On returning to show them to Frances she found this very attractive group.  I didn't attempt to count the whole colony (nor indeed to identify its extent) but at least 10s of plants,
On my first visit I was surprised to find this greenhood.  The rosette nattowed the iD challenge a good bit ...
..  and I thought the overall shape was most like Pterostylis acuminata.
However on our second visit I also noticed this much 'fuller-bodied' flower with lateral sepals visible and it was IMHO clearly P. nutans.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.