Wednesday 16 June 2021

A flowery(ish) walk

 I went for a walk in the forest opposite the Pony Club yesterday.  I wasn't the great parade of flowers of Spring but quite a few species were blooming.  Some snaps follow: they are not all great examples of botanical photography but such is life (vide Kelly, N. (1880) " Famous Last Words", Pentridge).

Here is the route I followed courtesy of eBird:

Dampiera stricta
A general view of the grass-tree plain at the start of the walk.  The Leptospermum has sprouted very well and much other growth has occurred.  There is no sign yet of re-sprouting of flowers on the grass-trees.
Epacris impressa

The only bean (ie member of the Family Fabaceae) which I found.  I have yet to identify the genus/species.
The commonest wattle was - not surprisingly inview of the date and habitat - was Acacia genistifolia.  It was everywhere,
I found a few A. suavolens along the side of the highway.
Pimelea humilis 
I think this hard bracket fungus is Phellinus robustus (although iNaturalist called it another name - %&%E$& taxonomists.
This one is Amanita xanthocephala.  It is growing in a number of areas in the District.
Small fungus: possibly Mycena sp.
I think this is a fungus but no idea what,  I have put it in iNaturalist (but they are pretty slow on fungi),
I did say some photos were poor.  ID to be sorted (hopefully).
Craspedia variablis
The drupes of Persoonia laevis.
Seed pods of Lomatia iliciformis, with particularly holly-like leaves!
Kennedia prostrata is beginning to show in flower everywhere.  There is a plant with similar shaped, but far larger, leaves that is forming a massive biomass on the clifftops etc around Betka.  I suspect that is K. rubicunda.
Brachyscme spathulata.  This was the most robust specimen I saw: imagine how tatty the others were!
An Eastern Yellow Robin.  Trust me, I'm  a doctor birder.



1 comment:

  1. Love being taken on a virtual tour of our bush. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.