Saturday 3 April 2021

Scenes from the mouth of Coulls Inlet

On our walk this morning I looked across at Seagull Island - as it appears to be known to some locals - and to my surprise counted 36 Cattle Egrets.  The consequent phone photo is sort of an aide -memoire rather that an assist to identifying the birds.

That is not the worst photograph I have ever taken.  That honour goes to an Ashy-throated Flycatcher seen in Central Park NYC.  It would have been the first record of the species in the Park but it wouldn't stay still and the resultant image was a grey blur, barely recognisable to Order let alone Species.

I went back later and took another photo (with my little camera) and picked out at least 1 Great  Egret among the horde.
I thought I go back with my telescope and see what else was there.  Not a great deal was the answer.  I did think this passing Foxy - on a paddle board - was very amusing. 
A couple of fishermen were there and one got very excited as he hooked a fish that gave him a great fight.  Displaying some fair skill he managed to land this nice Snapper of more than legal size.
I went on to Captain Stevenson's Point, being amazed at the number of people that were everywhere.  I think there were more people in the waters of the Inlet than I saw at Christmas.  Fortunately they, and their dogs hadn't scared off all the birds and a Double-banded Plover was a code 3 Bird of the Day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.