Tuesday 22 August 2023

Heron, Koala and Lewin's Rail.

 After a fairly pastel sunrise ....


... I took a ride to Bucklands this morning and it was quite productive.  The interest started at Mullet Creek where I heard a surprising noise (pause for James Brown /Blues Brothers reference).  What I heard was not the jingle jangle of 1000 lost souls but rather like a Channel-billed Cuckoo.  However on exploring a little I think it more likely to be someone doing carpentry with a rough-running circular saw.  

On, on to Bucklands parking area where the Nankeen Night-Heron was visible.  It didn't seem as agitated as it has recently and a photo with small camera was possible.

I also spotted a Dusky Moorhen over by the small dam so, after years with them mainly being reported from Gipsy Point or Genoa (and only infrequently), at least one seems to have set up residence.  A Wonga Pigeon was wandering about by the picnic tables.

Heading back to my bike I looked into the huge eucalypt and saw a rotund person lurking.  They seemed pretty happy with things.

Getting close to home I crossed with Frances going for a walk. 
 Soon after getting home she called me to say there were 2 Buff-banded Rails on the edge of the Inlet at Stingray Cove.  (Apparently this was the ID by a guy taking photographs.) So I zoomed down ... 
... and got a fleeting glimpse of one of them bolting for the reeds.  I hung about for a while and then spotted the second a bit further along the waterline.  I took a few photos!  Cutting to the chase, they showed it to be a Lewin's Rail, which seem to be more common around here.  I assume the other bird was also a Lewin's.  Here are a selection of my images.  210mm optical zoom only.
This one was taken using the 4X digital zoom so is a bit dodgy but would be good enough for ID .
Back to optical zoom only.
It didn't seem to mind getting its beak dirty!
I went back a little later with my 100-400mm lens and although the bird was a lot further away got some reasonable shots.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.