Tuesday 26 January 2021

Weather 25-26 January

The 25th January 2021 was forecast to be stinking hot.  And so it was.  I cowered indoors for most of the day.  

The maximum temperature recorded on my Weather Station was 42.1C, the highest temperature I have recorded here in the 2 years my station has been operating.  (The previous high was on 30 December 2019, the day before the fire hit.)  For the Bureau of Meteorology site at the Airport the maximum was 39.6C while the hottest (fair) temperature recorded there was 42.0C on 18 January 2013.    (I have qualified as 'fair' since the station did record 60C on 31 Decemeber 2019, as the fire front passed through.  That observation has been removed by BoM.)

Here is a chart showing the hourly temperatures at both sites.

The relative humidity reading were also interesting because of the low values recorded.  My weather station got to 22% at 1400hrs while the BoM recorded an arid 18% at noon.
Both stations recorded simultaneous turning points for both series at the same time (noon for BoM, 1400 hrs for my WS).  In the case of the BoM this reflected a change in wind direction from NNW (ie overland) to NE (more of a sea breeze).  My WS doesn't show such a change, but is more sheltered in the ESE to NE quadrant.

After a few 'spits' for most of the afternoon - not enough to register - a squall (26mm/hr) arrived about 1915 and gave us 0.4mm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.