Monday 25 January 2021

Hawk Moth and a goanna

 A recent comment on the MCN Facebook oage drew attention to hawk moths visiting flowers in the area.  This morning walking down Angophora Drive Frances spotted this very large specimen in the road.   Also well camouflaged.


We shifted it on to the the grass where it spread its wings.  I don't think it was well!
I shall consult iNaturalist.org for an expert identification.

Later in the day I was riding my bike up Angophora and heard small birds generating a ruckus in  a friends garden.  My first hope was a roosting owl.  Second prize, which eventuated, was a visiting reptile.  A Lace Monitor (aka Goanna) about 1.8m long.

I walked back with Frances a little later and it was still visible perhaps 5 m further up the tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.