Monday 21 September 2020

Sun orchids are go!

 We wandered around the Heath at Davis Creek on the evening of 20 September and were very pleased to find a find number of Thelymitra ixioides in flower ...

.. and in bud, showing there is more to come.

We wandered down the beach and on the way back through the dunes spotted this little (about 50 mm high) chap.  I immediately thought of Pterostylis nana.  Then I looked at the twisty labellum and realised it was the runt of a litter of P. curta.  I used a BAD word.
On checking the Orchid book small size is about the only attribute of P. nana shown by this miserable specimen.  Wrong colour wrong shape ...

A second colony of Caladenia tentaculata are coming along nicely, while the first collectionn are now very advanced with one or two plants going over.
On mentioning our finds to  a friend I was told that the Gun Club Heath is in fine order at present so took myself off there on the 21st.  A specimen of T. ixioides was soon found, and the cardboard focus-assistant positioned.
I didn't find many more of these but headed to wards the fenced off phallus found at least a dozen T. carnea.  I carefully checked their columns and none had teeth so not T. rubra.
There were also hundreds of Diuris orientis and thousands - probably 10,000 - Glossodia major.
I found a single Caladenia tentaculata.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.