Saturday 5 September 2020

Pretty birds, pretty orchids (and some scenery)

 On our morning walk a neighbour told us that some Spotted Pardalotes were still using their nest in an area where a boardwalk had been burnt so I fired up my bike and headed off with my camera.  Thanks to the directions given I was able to find the nest.  A small stick was across the entrance, providing a convenient spot for a bird to perch while entering the nest tunnel.

My first effort was not too good just catching the birds best feature as it was about to enter the nest.

On the next visit I was better prepared.  I think it is carrying a piece of lerp (a sugar shield used as protection by some bugs). 

The lerp can be seen clearly
On the way home I heard bird noises from some burnt Meleleuca and found a confiding Eastern Yellow Robin.

For our afternoon walk we went to the Captains Creek Fire Trail.
This has been a hotspot in the past and it did not disappoint.  About 50 m from the start I found a Lyperanthus suavolens (Brown Beaks).
A short distance later we found a colony of Caleana major (Large Flying Duck Orchids).  At least 50 plants, several in flower.
We have seen Caladenia alata elsewhere, but I wanted to complete the day list.
Ditto C. catenata.
One specimen of C. catenata had a bonus tiny fly.
At the top of the sand hill a good view of Genoa Peak is available.  Zooming in to the original image it is possible to see the lookout perched on top, but possibly the metal stairs were "compromised" during the fire.   Who knows when Parks will reopen this area.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.