Wednesday 1 July 2020

Chip Track and Betka Beach

With the Betka River having broken the bar the level of water in the estuary had dropped sufficiently to be able to walk along the Chip Track - particularly the bridge near the picnic area - again.

The first image shows the route.  WE usually go along the beach first but I decided to go along the river first so that if the bridge was covered with grot we could go on to the road, rather than having to back-track to get across the dunes to the beach.
I had been told of many Pelicans gorging on the dead fish.  They were not there but a flock - estimated as 400 - of Silver Gulls were present.  (I apologise for the phone photos: I had my main camera with me but ran out of battery - and had left a flat spare in my bag!  It is hard to get good help.)
The Eel grass shows that water had been well over the track.
Still some weed on the beach near the Mouth.
The sea rushing in  ...
.. and up the estuary.
The gulls had been wandering about on the beach.
As well as the Silver Gulls, an Immature Pacific Gull was on the beach,  The phone doesn't do distant shots well, but this shows the relative sizes of the two gull species.
There were still a few dead fish on the beach.  I don't know what species they are and will consult iNaturalist.  Brad Krawczyk has identified this as Black Bream.
Definitely a toadfish.
No idea but Brad has given these as Mullet.!  About 30 cm long,
I think these are different species.
The waves have been quite active on the beach, to erode about 30 cm of sand, which is what I suspect opened the mouth.
Just a pretty skyscape.

1 comment:

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.