Saturday 11 March 2023

A short ride in Mallacoota

 After successfully finding a Powerful Owl yesterday (by following directions given by other birders) I went back on my bike to try my luck again today.  When I got to the area there were my informants from the day before assisting another birder to photograph Rufous Fantails.  They knew why I was there and advised that:

  1. the Owl was there but had shifted across the creek, and 
  2. they had scratched a line on the dirt to mark the spot.

After a little searching my crappy eyes picked up the mark, and a gap in the foliage nicely framed the Owl.  It had no prey today, so just as well it had surplus bat yesterday.

Riding home I had just got to the boardwalk area and noticed  bunch of folk peering into the bushes.  On stopping there was a chubby chappie (or chapess) peering out.
As I started the ascent of Mount Angophora I noticed a Whistling Kite posing nicely.  Needless to say it bolted at the sight of the camera but after a swerve round another Angophora it perched to adjust a small bird it had picked up en route.  At 150m range I couldn't get a clear look at the prey, but suspect there is 1 less New Holland Honeyeater around.  The Red Wattlebird looks totally unfussed.


1 comment:

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.