Thursday 7 July 2022

Cormorants etc (mainly)

 Recently I have been finding very few Great Cormorants and surprising numbers of Little Pied Cormorants.  

On the other hand I haven't been having much trouble finding a Nankeen Night Heron or two at Bucklands.  (I suspect the one opposite the Bakery in town has moved on as the Shire has massacred the Pittosporum in which it used to roost.  Vandals!

So today I thought I would go and nail the Night Heron for BirdADay (BAD).  On getting to Bucklands I soon found the Heron in one of its favourite spots.

It then decided to hide in the foliage.  It is rather hard to hide if you forget your lurid yellow legs.
After spotting the NNH I heard the distinctive call of a Darter and saw an adult male of that species heading off across the water.  After checking a few other spots for this and also that - neither of which were around I found a great Cormorant and a female Darter sitting in the big dead tree.  
Yet another Darter.  I suspect this is an immature male just coming in to adult plumage,
Driving back home the jetty near Mullet Creek was replete with Cormorants.  I recorded 32 Little Pied, 18 Little Black and 2 Great Cormorants.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.