Sunday 17 July 2022

Cap'n Ahab was here?

 A dead white whale (only 10m long so not really that great, by whale standards) was reported on the Mallacoota Facebook page, as located about 1km past the mouth to the East.  It has been getting a fair bit of media coverage including the ABC (which seems to be the way the community finds out about these things.

I took myself to Bastion Point this morning and took some snaps.  The whale isn't obvious in the first one.

With the naked eye a blip on the beach is the whale, although without knowing there was a dead whale there, it could have been a rock or a washed-up tree or ....  Looking at Google Earth my guess is that it was about 2km from the steps at Bastion.

The zoom lever is your friend!  As was my telescope!
Some passing neighbours had a squizz through the scope and told me about the condition of the nearby Tip Beach.  So I went for a look myself.
The neighbours estimated the height of the bank at 11 feet, and as they climbed it they are well positioned to know!  I would not disagree with thier estimate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.