Thursday 6 January 2022

Weather of 6 January 2022

 For the last week the BoM forecast has been mentioning some rain over the 6th and 7th of January.  The amount suddenly jumped yesterday so I was not surprised to find 5mm had fallen into my weather station when I got up on the morning of the 6th.  

It has been raining fairly steadily (with a squall at 93 mm/hr just before 1100hrs).as at noon my WS is up to 24.8 mm for the day.  The Bairnsdale 256 km radar shows a reasonable amount more on the Northern horizon.

Bearing that in mind and hearing a few rumbles of thunder I checked the lightning tracker at www.blitzortung.org.  That shows a few strikes coming down the coast.  It also shows a LOT of strikes in the Riverina.
That led me to look at the 512 km radar.  From the direction the systems are tracking (green arrows) there is a lot more liquid heading in our direction.
I have found in the past that my weather station and the BoM sites for Mallacoota (at the Airport) and Gabo Island give fairly similar readings.  However for this event and that of 9-11 December 2021 there have been quite marked differences.
It would be interesting to compare the falls by time through the period, but unfortunately BoM use a strange format for time in Climate Data on line, chucks in readings in addition to the usual 30 minute observations, and together with the daft 9am reset means that I'd have to do too much work to get comparable data.  


To be continued.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.