Monday 6 December 2021

Sundries

 I would never argue about Koala Poop with Janine Duffy.  Here is a sample she identified on the Narrows Walk on 4 December.  Looks a bit like a pellet of dynamic lifter in shape and when broken open has a scent of eucalyptus (if your sense of smell is better than mine).  Also quite light in colour.

This is Brush-tail Possum crap.  The key feature is that it compressed from side to side and top to bottom and often slightly bent.  The darker colour is also typical,
That enabled me to realise that what we saw on Angophora Drive (under a tree of that species) a couple of days earlier was Koala scats rather than Possum.  I have put a red dot by each pellet to make them stand out.  Obviously, the bear was not constipated!
Moving on, the tide was low on 5 December (and will continue as such for the next 2 days).  Much sand exposed at the bottom of the ramp.  Also a distinct aroma of decaying Kelp.
This also meant much exposed rock both sides of the breakwater.  This is the area between the breakwater and the Point.
The wildlife was disappointing both in quantity and diversity.  Very few crabs or seastars, no Tritons, abalone or elephant limpets.  Unlike this time last year we found no Sea-hares and only a few strings of their eggs.

Seaweed was in greater profusion including quite a few specimens of this colourful species (which reminded me of ear muffs).
I have gone on record as saying these rocks are the top spot for Eastern Reef Egret and today did not disappoint.




3 comments:

  1. Amusing that the pink seaweed reminded you of earmuffs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if you'd pick up on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The funny thing is that I don't even own those in the photo. I was trying them on to see if they suited me. I should go back to the shop in Castlemaine where I saw them, although some pink seaweed may suffice for those warmer days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.