Tuesday 7 December 2021

Quarry and Secret beaches

 The tide being low on 6 December indicated it would be possible to get through the gap from Quarry Beach on to Secret Beach.  So we took ourselves off.  The tide was indeed low.

The shapes of the rocks were very interesting

The green seaweed was very lurid, but there was very little other life around on the rocks.  I noticed a few mussels and Frances saw some limpets but that was about it.
As we got close to the Western end of Quarry Beach Frances spotted a smaller wader on some rocks.  It was bobbing, somewhat like a large Common Sandpiper.  When I got my binoculars on it, it was clearly a Tattler and to my inexpert eye seemed more like a Grey-tailed than a Wandering.  I phoned Janine and when she got there a little later, she agreed with the ID, as did another expert after I reported it to ABID.



I doubt if this helps with the identification but I was very impressed with the length of the wings!
It was a tad slippery getting into the gap but the water was elsewhere.
This is another gap in the rocks off Secret Beach.
Lots of Cunjevoi and a couple of clusters of the Jewel Anemone (Corynactis australis).
The invertebrates were more interesting on the rocks of Secret Beach.  Here we have chitons, limpets and barnacles.
Lurking under a sheltering rock were quite a few 'normal' sea-anemones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.