Monday 10 May 2021

Foggy, foggy days

The words "Foggy, foggy" are musically followed by 'dew' as in this example by Marty Robins.  ( I tried to find some English/Irish examples but they all seem to be a Benjamin Britten reworking or a very different song about the Easter Uprising).

However what this post is about follows my noticing how most days recently seem to start with fog in the valleys visible from my window.  That made me wonder about the seasonality of fog.  The best measure I could come up with is high (>90%) outside humidity.   So I calculated the number of hourly humidity readings >90% as a percentage of total humidity readings for each month, as recorded by my Weather Station.  A chart of the result follows.

Nothing too surprising in the way of a monthly pattern there!  However it did cause me to wonder how the pattern related to wind strength, so I calculated the average hourly wind run for each month.  The result was hard to compare with the humidity as the numbers were smaller, so I created an indicator by multiplying the wind run by 3 (which doesn't alter the pattern between months).


While the R2 coefficients aren't huge, they suggest the patterns are largely opposites: higher wind, lower humidity.  That sort of makes sense in that the wind mixes up the air, but on the other hand goes against the strong winds being related to the passage of fronts or passing storms.

2 comments:

  1. Don't care if the correlations are signicicant or not. I admire your perspection and the food for thought is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.