Sunday 9 May 2021

A sunrise and some nature pics

 These come from May 8.

The sunrise looked interesting early on with the colour reflected in Bottom Lake.  The first two pictures were taken from the top of Angophora Drive at 0619.


After returning home the colour grew more intense so I went out the front of the house and took a photo, which I saved on my computer.
I then adjusted the pixcel count so it saved correctly!
Looking out the back of the house gives a different view.
The 8th of May was eBird's Global Big Day, where they try to get as many people as possible to put in as many lists as possible.  I did 6 lists in total, all close to home, covering 46 species.

I started at Bastion Point where a lot of foam was evident.
A product of a very rough sea.
Here is the route I followed.  
It is very silly logging this as a walk of 2.55 km (mainly because it is greatly affected by how much I weaved about.  Its much better to use a BLA protocol of 500m circle radius which covers where I walked.
The best bird was Caspian Tern.  I saw 3 different birds, after not having seen any for a couple of months.
There was a lot of Eel Grass washed up on the sea and Inlet shores.  It made a good pattern.
So did the little (about 10cm diameter) depressions in the sand, cut by ripples.
This huge ship out on the horizon was Panamanian registered  and heading for Melbourne according to my Marine Traffic app.
On the way home I called in to the Broome St Lagoon for a quick checklist.  The high;ight was the tree full of the Heron family: 12 Royal Spoonbills; 2 Great Egrets and 3 Australian White Ibis.

In case you wondered what a Spoonbill's armpit looked like!


1 comment:

  1. The right balance of fascinating and whimsical. Thanks Martin.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.