Monday 7 December 2020

 I will start with a tame plant: growing in our front yard but very attractive at present.  Its a NSW Christmas Bush (Ceratopetalum gummiferum). The red colour is the sepals which dominate the shrub after the petals fall off..

Moving on to wildlife, I went to the mouth of Mullet Creek to count the fruit bats in the colony today.  Not one was to be found at least where I could smell, hear or see them.  

However any day that includes a Monarch butterfly can't be bad.
As I was leaving the area I started to write down Pied Currawong as I heard one call nearby.  Then a Lewin's Honeyeater and a White-browed Scrubwren called from the same spot, followed by a baby's rattles.  We had Lyrebirds!  I had 2 males foraging within 2 metres of each other (and about 7 metres from me.  They didn't seem to be competing with each other just bumbling along, kicking up the litter and occasionally flashing their tail feathers.  The best view of a display I have had.  (They totally ignored me.)

Although they were so close there was still plenty of veg to get in the way of classic photos but even in the cases where most of the bird is blocked the colours and patterns are still spiffy.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.