Wednesday 2 December 2020

A short ride on Lakeside Drive

 This morning I went for a short ride along Lakeside Drive to Bucklands this morning.  I wrote down 33 species of birds which wasn't too shabby for a horribly windy day.  My first excitement was seeing a Black-faced Monarch on the uphill side of the stretch towards the boat ramp.

I have no idea why its beak is open: I couldn't hear a call.

Then, on the way back I came across at least 3 Rufous Fantails.  They were unfortunately active so a photo was not possible with my poor hand/eye coordination!   I did manage to get a snap of this Superb Lyrebird shifting litter beside the road.
The most eye-catching vegetation at present is Bursaria spinosa.

If one tries to burrow through a copse of this it soon becomes very evident why one of its vernacular names is "Blackthorn".  Wear Kevlar!  It has a reputation as a very good species for attracting insects.

A large number of decibels were emanating from the bottom of Mullet Creek, indicating the Grey-headed Flying Fox colony is back in business.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.