Sunday 8 September 2019

Wind and Wood

The wind has died down.  Down is the word applicable to a fair proportion of the wood in the area!  We drove out to Fisherman's Point yesterday and there were a few shrubs blown into the road,  On discussing this with the serving-person at the servo he mentioned that there were a few trees across the Casuarina Track.  So checking that out became an objective of my bike ride today.

In fact I didn't have to get as far as the Casuarina Track.  This was the situation at the top of our road: it is a short dirt cut-through goat track which makes the street more or less a cul de sac unless you need to go that way because of flooding.  My guess is there will be little pressure from residents to remove the blockage.
There were a few small trees across the Casuarina Track but I was able to go round (or jump) them until I got to this one: perhaps 60 cm high.  I had to get off and lift the bike over.
No real root ball here, but presumably some roots still in the ground as it was a substnatial bit of lumber.
Later in the day I drove to Karbeethong Rd to check out the orchid situation,  Before I got out of the 50 kph zone there was a cut up tree  beside the road,  Then I got to this one which would have thoroughly blocked the road.  Points A and B were connected but are now about 15 m apart.
This shows the daily wind runs since we moved in.  Yesterday was the second longest we have recorded at home.

I mentioned orchids as my target.  There were a lot of Caladenia catenata and a surprising number of them were pink rather than white.  I think they were all good samples of that species rather than the hybrid we found the other day (which was under part of the fallen tree).

There were also some birdy things of interest though the day.  After the Casuarina track I visited the Satin Bower Bird site on Rasmus St.  Again the owner nicked off when I arrived, but I did get a decent shot of his work.
Heading home from Karbeethong I took a few snaps of the three species of Cormorant on a jetty.  First up is  Great Cormorant.
Little Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting article. Watch out for falling limbs on windy, wet days. Thanks for the pics and story.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.