Sunday 8 September 2019

Wind and waves

As you may have noticed, 7 September was pretty windy.  I recorded a strongest gust of 72 kph: about 7 minutes later a/the squall got to Gabo Island giving it its big speed of 111 kph.  The reading on my station was the highest I have recorded here (by 11 kph).  The wind run (the distance the wind traveled in a day) was 339 km - the second highest logged here.  ( A site at Mittagong reported a run of ~750 km!)

This stirred the sea up a bit.  Not a good day for fishing or a pelagic birding trip!  Here are a few photos.

WE first went to Fisherman's Point, from which lookout the Gabo Lighthouse was barely visible.
 There were a few pelagic birds visible (1 each of Great-winged Petrel, Black-browed Albatross and Shy Albatross) and several flocks of Gannets totaling at least 60 birds.

The strongest gusts of wind stirred up patches of spray ...
 .. that got quite dense at times.  Some had a rainbow effect but I didn't catch that.
 The waves were quite large.
 On the way home (dodging fallen vegetation as I didn't have my chainsaw with me) we paused to look at Betka Beach.  The waves weren't quite eroding the dune but clearly some breakers were getting over.
 At Bastion Point the breakwater was getting a workout.
 A nice breaker!
 A view along Bastion Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.