Thursday 14 February 2019

My Weather Station is working

I have now set up my weather station (a Davis Vantage Vue).  Its in the back yard and aligned so that it points just to the right of Mount Imlay (which I reckon is as close to North as I am going to get.

  I have been running it for the last 18 hours.  That isn't really long enough to make any big calls about quality, but comparing it (red X below) with the BoM station for Mallacoota (out near the airport - yellow pin) ..
... suggests that the data isn't too far off.

Here is a photo of the BoM station.  The pylon in the background is something to do with the airport (on the far side of the trees even further back).


Hourly temperatures have a correlation coefficient of 0.98.
 As does Humidity.
The wind readings show a bit more difference, in the speed of the gusts at a point in time with  and the average difference between the two values is about one third of the BoM value. Such a difference  would be expected when comparing sites in rather different locations.  Mine is behind a house and about 2.7km from the coast while the BoM site is in the middle of a cleared paddock about 100m from the coast!

The pattern of relative speeds is very similar and correlation coefficient is still quite high at 0.92.   I conclude that my data will be good enough to say that time period "n" was relatively windy or calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.