Wednesday 26 July 2023

Some birds, some clouds and a sunset

 The most exciting birds today were (again) not photographed.  When Frances did her exercise walk today she saw two black birds with red eyes near Bucklands.  Spangled Drongos, which have not been spotted in this area since 23 May - approximately 9 weeks.  I wonder where they have been hiding?  (Thinking on this after the initial post, the very last sighting I heard about was from Mullet Creek, rather than the Karbeethong Jetty - Bucklands area, so perhaps they were up the Creek sans paddle?)

I went to try to get some photos but failed to relocate them.  I did see a Satin Bowerbird wreaking havoc on a Pittosporum bush.


I really like the big blue eyes!
The next image focuses on a very large mistletoe on the edge of the rainforest pocket where the track heads off to Bucklands.  I think this is Dendrophthoe vitellina so should be very spiffy when it flowers.
The flock of Teal at the mouth of Mullet Creek seemed particularly large today.  I think I counted 40 Chestnut Teal out of this image and, counting from the image, 179 Chestnut Teal in the image (total 219 CT)  together with 12 Grey Teal. 
I cannot be fussed doing a precise count of sexes but eyeballing I suspect the flock is about 3:1 males:females, which I find rather strange. 

Later in the afternoon Frances drew my attention to a rather strange cloud formation.  Both photos taken with my small lens set on 18mm.

The 'front' eventually moved off to the East while the lines behind broke up.

The cloud left augured well for a sunset: and so it was!  All these photos were taken with the smaller lenses at zooms between 18mm and 45mm.
Note the lenticular clouds.
Getting a bit of colour!
LURID
Taken sitting on the lounge.  It was too nice sitting in front of the fire to go outside.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.