Friday 14 July 2023

Back in Mallacoota

 We had a relaxed drive back to Mallacoota on the 12th July and found a few things of interest on the 13th.  For some reason I found the day cold, while the thermometer said it was actually quite warm, with a maximum of 19.4C.  Frances suggested that if I went and sat on the deck I would soon warm up: this happened.

It also gave me a good view of this patch of clouds.


The patch seemed to be moving quickly towards the North.  This made me recall that on our morning walk I saw a condensation trail heading South which seemed an unusual time for this.  Checking with Flight Radar it was simply a Sydney-Hobart flight which is quite common - perhaps I just haven't looked up at the right time in the past?  Taking a rough guess, using the distance in the image to Cann River as similar the aircraft was about 50km out to sea.  The most interesting point was that it was only travelling at around 380 knots: my memory is that they are usually doing about 450 knots.  There must have been strong Southerly winds.  This would account for the speed of the clouds also.
The Lapwings nest on the lawn next door is full.
A New Holland Honeyeater perched in a Grevillea.

Some more clouds arrived to make a spiffy sunset.

Sunrise on the 14th was pretty spiffy also.
The reflection of the sky in the Lake is just visible in this.
The moon, such as it is at present, also appeared.
On our morning walk, a seal feeding between the shore and Seagull Island entertained us.  Sorry, only phone photographs.

In the evening the sunset was one of the best I have seen.  The first photo was with my larger lens looking towards Karbeethong.
The next two are a little later looking North (see Mt Imlay) and photos using the small lens

The final image was taken from the lounge




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.