Sunday 8 January 2023

Various sightings

 This is a miscellany of sightings from 7 January.  It begins with a few snaps from our garden, as much about the flowers as the birds.

Little Wattlebird on Red-hot Poker.

New Holland Honeyeater (NHH) on Red Hot Poker.  This causes me to remember that at our last house, in Carwoola NSW the only time we used to see NHH was when the Pokers came in to flower, and then they would hang around until the flowering stopped.  The nearest place at which NHH were regular was about 3km away (straight line) and over a couple of small ridges, so how they new about this flowering beats me!
Little Wattlebird looking at Canna.
This sign, presumably erected by EGSC, has appeared at the start of the Casuarina Walk.  An excellent guide to many birding points,
The walk is a good spot to find Hyacinth Orchids.  This is Dipodium roseum.
An interesting collection of fungus. 
Underside of the fungus.
In the afternoon I went to add some biomass (bait) to the waters of the Inlet.  I removed a little biomass (weed) from the Lake but added nothing to our diet.  It was amusing to watch a flock of Little Black Cormorants feeding around a Pelican.  Frances has raised the question of whether Cormorants glide: I can't recall seeing this Pelicans are absolute glidemeisters, both in level flight inches above the water and spiralling upwards in a thermal or an orographic updraft.
THis mainly to show the wing action of a Silver Gull.
I tried to get images - OK, an image - of the Little Terns fishing in the vicinity but failed.  I suspect they were doing better than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.