Monday 23 January 2023

A visit to the near West

 On 23 January I visited two of the cultural sites of Mallacoota: the Waste Water Treatment Works (WWTP, also known as the sewage works or the poo pits) and the Waste Facility (also known as the Tip).

The most exciting thing was a the entire time I was at the WWTP - close to an hour - was a flock of about 60 White-throated Needetails was swooping at great speed above the ponds.

Displaying great foresight I didn't have my camera with me so offer a 3 image offering courtesy of my iphone. The first is a still image in normal view with about 20 swifts circled in red.
The second is a similar shot but the camera zoomed so the birds are actually visible.
The third is a video clip with a single bird showing the full meaning of 'zoom'.
I think the country must be drying out to the West. There were about twice as many of the common duck species as in the recent past and there were Coots and both usual species of Grebe back after being very hard to find recently. Still a few ducks missing (Hardhead; Shoveler; and PInk-eared) but some positive signs for birders at least.

Getting back to the tip I was very pleased and amused by the use made of donations to form installations. The site manager commented that people sometimes go there just to take photos. Here is the welcome sign.
Note the smiley on the rock!
If your calls haven't been getting through ...



I thought the array of toys needed a close up.
Personally, I'd use a four iron, rather than a wood, for this hole.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.