Wednesday 9 November 2022

Lunar Eclipse 8 November 2022

 U3A Mallacoota and District organised (thanks George and Fiona) a viewing of the Lunar Eclipse from the lawns of Karbeethong Lodge.  The U3A Dobsonian telescope, and two other Dobsonians were available for viewing the moon and available planets.

Start time was 2000 hrs to follow the development of the event.  The following photos by me, were taken with my Panasonic FZ300, hand held.  (I must get a tripod attachment for it!)

My guess was that at least 30 folk were there which I think is a good turn out. It shows the community interest in such events.  By the time we had set ourselves up on the lawn it was 2008 hours, with the moon well clear of the Howe Range.  

The shadow starts to creep in 2009
2021
2022: the green lights on the channel markers in the Lake are also visible!
2046.  Around this time it was felt development had slowed somewhat.  "Like watching lions."
2056
Finally, at 2115, as scheduled we achieve totality and a red moon.
As a bonus the big telescopes allowed views of the moons of Jupiter - two are visible in this image.  I heard some people say they could pick up the bands of colour on the planet, but not with my camera. 
As a major bonus the rings of Saturn were also visible through the telescope.  No photo of that I'm afraid.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.