Monday 7 November 2022

Gorging on Genoa

 About 10 days ago the BoM plot of River Height at the Genoa Gorge gauge had the river somewhat over minor flood level.  Unfortunately I had an attack of common sense and didn't drive up there to see what it was like.  Instead I went today with the BoM plot as in this first image:

At a broad level the view downstream had plenty of rock visible.  I suspect about 90% or more of this would be under water at minor flood level.
There were some nice mini-rapids visible when zooming in.  Judging by the lean on the shrubs there has been a bit of hydraulic pressure on them recently.

The view upstream was approaching idyllic!
If still waters do indeed run deep the quality of these reflections suggest the water was indeed deep!  
I had a few hoped for bird species (Turquoise Parrot, Diamond Firetail and Yellow-tufted Honeyeater) but all had engagements elsewhere.  However I did hear both Painted Buttonquail and Brush Cuckoo, neither of which are common in the area.  Here is my full list.

And most importantly, in view of my history on the walk down to the viewpoint, I didn't fall over!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.