Wednesday 26 October 2022

Back to (what is left of) Bastion Beach

 After the success of my visit to Bastion Beach yesterday I went back today (26 October) to see what else I could see.  I will justify the title of the post towards the end, but will begin with some birdy stuff.

As I walked along the top of the sand dune this bird scampered around in front of me.  I was initially quite excited as it didn't look, nor behave "right" for a Red-capped Plover, but on consulting the Australian Bird Guide there was no doubt that is what it was,

Looking across the MFKATM (maelstrom formerly known as the mouth) a heap of shorebirds were visible feeding around the washed up eel grass and kelp.
A number (at least 5) of Caspian Terns were fishing in MFKATM and making a fair amount of noise while doing so.  One of them was perched on a sand bar next to the first Pacific Gull I have seen for some time.  Unfortunately the image just about shows a massive bill with red top and bottom so not a Kelp Gull (1 was seen here recently).  Of course the term took off as I pressed the shutter, distracting the autofocus on my camera 
Here are the heaps of 4 of the Caspian Terns.
Some Stints came along the beach from the Point.
Others strolled in the foam, about 200 metres away.
A great Cormorant knew that if it itched, you scratched it.
Today I did get a clear view of a Ruddy Turnstone, but not through a view finder.  One of the 3 Pacific Golden Plovers I saw was a little more obliging.
This is a phone photo of MFKATM.  The discolouration of the water seemed to go halfway to the horizon.
The the vegetation on top of the dune was plastered with foamy sand, presumably thrown up by breaking waves. 
The dune is being eroded.  I suspect that if there is a further strong Southerly storm the sea will break through reducing Bastion beach to about 100m long!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.