Sunday 28 August 2022

To do with birds

 I'm putting this image first to get it on Facebook.  It was get explained a bit further down.

My first effort today was a bike ride to Bucklands to see if the Nankeen Night-Herons were around.  They weren't, as far as I could tell.  En route I checked the huge fig tree opposite the school bus stop for fruit: very little that I could see,

Getting past Mullet Creek I looked back at the jetties and realised that I had 5 species of Cormorant and relatives in one image!

1 Little Pied Cormorant; 2 Little Black Cormorant; 3 Great Cormorant;
4 Pied Cormorant, 5 Australasian Darter
I have previously managed to get these 4 Cormorant species + Black-face Cormorant in one shot (on the Breakwater at Glenelg SA) but never before 4 Cormorants and a Darter.

Here is a closer shot of the Great Cormorant and the Pied Cormorant.

A little further along Lakeside Drive (the jetty near Schnapper Point Drive) I spotted a familiar shape on the jetty.
Yes!  A Squidgy Heron.
I came back over Stingray Point mainly to check the figs by the grassy area,  Both trees seemed covered with fruit so will I think be good for Figbirds, Topknot Pigeons and Channel-billed Cuckoos a little later in the season.  On the way down the hill I saw this person checking things out.  Laid back as usual and only about 1.8m off the ground.
We then went off to the Bunker Museum site to check out the BLA nest boxes to see if there was any activity.  The opening image is me preparing to insert Caroline's pole camera into one of the boxes.  (That was the second highest we found: I couldn't get the probe in the highest.)  Here is the route we followed: the pink ring is the site of the Bunker.
In total there are 33 boxes here: 20 put up by BLA and 13 by the Historical Society.  We found 26 of them, but none were currently occupied.  Here is a link to a summary.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.