Sunday 24 April 2022

A trip to the (air)strip

 The Mallacoota airstrip and nearby Gun Club track are an intriguing pair of sites.  Sometimes they can be full of birds of interesting diversity, but I have taken other birders there and not seen a single bird.  I haven't been able to nut out why this is so (but am sure it's nothing to do with Cadbury's Dairy Milk).

April 24 was about average for number of species, but probably somewhat above average overall, due to the number of Robins seen.

Flame Robin: 2 males and 1 female.

Scarlet Robin: 7 total, 3 males 4 females.

Jacky Winter (also a Robin): 9 total and I am not sure if it is possible to determine their sex in the field.
Dusky Woodswallow: 9 in total (ibid).
Grey Shrikethrush: I took this photo as the rufous face suggests it is a young bird. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.