Sunday 11 July 2021

Not Long but Narrows

 The Coastal Walk took a break on 10 July as Frances went to a musical event.  I went up the Narrows to relocate some orchids Frances had found on 8 July.  Here is my route.

This photo was actually taken well into the walk, where the track turns left/West into Double Creek Arm.  The area was not burnt (or at least burnt at low intensity) and shows the rather barren nature of the area as it used to be.  
This is more typical of the area now, with quite lush growth down to the edge of the track.  Indeed, before Parks mowed it the lush vegetation covered the path!
A postcard shot back down the Narrows.
For some reason Parks have put in this construction.  Perhaps the area gets damp when the Lake gets full?  However I'd have thought that a couple of gullies along the way would have become impassable well before this got flooded.  Perhaps there is a midden under the bridge?
On to plants.  I haven't shown species included in the last two posts (not many in this category - in fact the walk was not very floriferous).   The first example is Craspedia variabilis.
A sedge or sword grass: possibly Gahnia sp. - there are 9 possibilities in this area!
Exocarpos cupressiformis: I have tried to avoid buds'n'berries and when I took this photo thought the red item was a small flower.  It is just one of the "cherries" turning colour 
The target species.  Pterostylis longipetala (aka P. reflexa - taxonomists keep changing their minds).  It is usually found on isolated granite peaks and associated ridges.  So this location - at the waters edge and some distance from the nearest granite that I know of - is rather unusual.
Here is about half the colony.  I counted 23 flowers in total
I used my phone compass to get a waypoint and did a screenshot to record it.  I have plugged the coordinates into Google Earth and it shows exactly the right spot,  Just occasionally, technology is useful (and consistent)!
A single Brachyscome spathulata.
Not the most focused image of Indigophora australis but it does show the most developed flower that I found.
This image suggests that there is going to be a very colourful scene here in the nearish future.
I ma uncertain if these are different species of Nightshade (Solanum sp.).  Weeds, anyway.

In the car park at the start/finish a rather vigorous example of Pandora pandorea (Wonga Vine).
After not locating the Night-Heron(s) at Bucklands for some time I finally spotted one today.  It seemed to have reverted to its former nervous self.
Birding was not exciting today but I did record 20 species (plus a few cryptic squeaks and whistles).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.