Monday 26 July 2021

2 shortish walks

The first walk was always intended, and was a lap of Shady Gully with Frances.  The hope was to find a Red-browed Treecreeper, but I reckon they only show up when a guru is in town.

Most of our walking was on tracks used by the local mountain bikers.  On the stretch near Genoa Rd they have put a lot of effort into infrastructure.
When I first saw this I thought it was the front of a Tawny Frogmouth and then realised it was the back of a Wonga Pigeon.
Caladenia catenata
Anser antiqua photgraphing ...
.. a beetle under some loose bark.
Corymbia gummifera: wherever the bark has broken off the red sap was doing its job of sealing the wound,
There were not a lot of flowers around so Correa reflexa got a photo.
Any orchid earns a picture: Pterostylis nutans.
I was pleased when I first identified Eustrephus latifolius (Wombat Berry) and now find it everywhere.  The orange berries stand out!

The second walk was by myself, arising out of a thought that I should either do something energetic or take a nana-nap.  Going to the swamp from Fisheries Jetty seemed like a Good Thing. 
I was wearing my wellies as I thought it might be a tad damp and began by walking along the shoreline (as the marsh itself was clearly replete with water.  As the track was slippery (where muddy) or tangled vegetation I decided to come back along the road.

It is unusual to see a solitary Royal Spoonbill ..
... and thus more normal to find a group about halfway along the shoreline.
Two members of the Heron Family (White-faced Heron and Great Egret).  Interestingly, the Heron is in the genus Egretta, so should it be the Egret Family?
Towards the end of the return trip the Egret was clearly visible and enabled a close up.
Bird of the Day was Caspian Tern.  Two of them were fishing in the Inlet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.