Sunday 1 November 2020

A new (to me) Leek Orchid

 We were alerted to the flowering of a new Leek Orchid (Prasophyllum sp. "Mallacoota").  It is part of a complex of undescribed species formerly regarded as part of P. odoratum.  In this case the 'odor' was of lemon - but too subtle for Butterfield noses.  Here is the whole plant.

The flower spike.
A close up of the very pretty flowers.
There were quite a few white flowers in the heath, with regenerating Leptospermum sp. being a good contributor.
Hybanthus vernonii
After some research (mainly on the shape of the stamens) I have concluded this is Hypoxis hygrometrica rather than the other yellow monocot Tricoryne elatior.


I initially called this a sedge, but is failed the "sedges have edges" mnemonic.  Over to iNaturalist.

A colourful spider - also sitting in iNaturalist for identification.
Less colourful (and definitely not a spider) but in iNaturalist.

Earlier in the day I had gone to the wharf area taking a few amusing photographs of perched Pelicans.


The dog on a paddleboard amused me.  I did ask before taking the photos.
About this point it spotted another pooch on the shore and nearly became "dog off a paddleboard".  From its appearance I suspect that had already been the case!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.