Sunday 25 October 2020

New (to me) Sun Orchids

On the 23rd  of October we went for a walk on the powerlines track looking for Sun Orchids.  Although it was over 20C it was a little early in the day (0930 hrs) as we had an appointment for me to get shorn in Eden at 1100.  As a result, we found quite a few plants of interest but they weren't open.

Thus I went back about 1030 on 24 October.  It was just over 20C and I soon found an open example of Thelymitra aristata.  Note the arrowed large leaf .. 

... and the white brushes on the column.
Somewhat further up the track I found other plants, also with a large leaf  ...
... but with purple brushes, diagnostic of T. malvina.
As rain arrived a little later and the temperature dropped a lot I reckon I was very fortunate to score these new species.

I also took the opportunity to take some extra photographs of a yellow flower as the guru on iNaturalist who saw the first one requested an image of the flower from side on ...
.. and a whole-plant image.
It has now been identified as Xyris operculata

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.