Monday 10 August 2020

The heathland gets going

 I decided that an exercise walk  would do me some good. and the birds had been interesting when I last went to the Gun Club track.  So a walk round there seemed indicated.  Here is my route.

The weather was average, getting close to ordinary on occasions.  As a result birds were not available: I heard two noisy Lapwings and one Grey Shrikethrush!

However the flowers were pretty good.  Most of them even stopped threshing in the gale long enough to get a photo.  The first was Hardenbergia violaceae.
A second, larger patch.
All colours of Epacris impressa were available

Although it is 3 weeks to Wattle Day I managed to identify 3 species of Acacia today.  First is A. myrtifolia.
Then A. suavolens.
And A. longifolia (not every plant cooperated photographically).
I had trouble pulling the name Dillwynia sericea out of the vault, but it came eventually.
Billardiera scandens
It is always nice to find some blossom on Spiridium cinerum: in other circumstances the grey powdery leaves look very like flowers and deceive us!
Euphrasia collina - I think: a rather blue form.
Leptospermum sp.
I only found one specimen of Caladenia catenata but comments on another post has said there are lots in this area.
Back in the woodland there were a few Solanum aviculare (Kangaroo apple).  This was a rather small specimen but it did oblige with a flower.  I think I mentioned the weather was unflashy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.