Monday 24 August 2020

Its all happening at Mallacoota.

I went to the Waste Water Treatment Plant this morning to set up some birding sites.  The first excitement was seeing approximately 8 baby Australian Shelduck.

The count is only approximate as they kept diving.  In conversation with one of the staff he said that behaviour had been very evident earlier in the day when 2 Wedgetailed Eagles swooped them a few times.  He said the ducklings first appeared late last week.

Moving around to the machinery sheds I noticed this entity.  I have no idea what a Red-bellied Black Snake is doing out and about at a temperature of 12 C!
A couple of people have used an F-word (three letter one) but the scales tell me I cannot sling off at other life-forms for being Fat.
Then in the afternoon we went to try for the Emuwrens reported by Jess Waaleboer at  Bastion Point.  Here is our route.  
After about 50 minutes of searching every burnt shrub, and walking about 1.2 km, Frances the Eagle-eyed spotted the birds at the red arrow.  How excellent.


In this final image showing both birds I can't see any blue on the lower bird.  That makes it a female.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.