Wednesday 10 June 2020

Kayaking, yakking, yakking

The weather being ideal today (sunny, 16C no wind) we took the kayaks out again.  We went to the same launch spot as last time.  As eBird didn't connect to GPS for a wile the first ~500 m or so but we started at the spot we finished.
As I said a lovely day.  This is looking down towards the Inlet.
Looking across towards the shore on the far side of the major Inlet.  The fire wasn't crowning at water level but the understorey has all gone.  The reason for Frances posture is that she has he hands on the rudder levers, built into the side of the kayak.
With some trepidation (about dropping the phone into 2 m of water) I passed my phone over and Frances took a couple of snaps of me.  Also with my hands on the rudder controls!

Our house - the one with cream brick, lightly to the left of the communications tower - stood out quite well.
This is the inverse image.  I think where I took the previous photo was well towards the shore about in line with Mt Imlay.
Just before we turned a white dot in the top of the tees turned into a White-bellied Sea-Eagle.  We didn't have any rancid chook to feed it.
As we came back I noticed a lot of yellow dots on the water which puzzled me for a while.  Then it turned out to be a flotilla of kayaks crewed by girls.  Presumably Marshmead is operating again: the bushfire was fought around it and they would certainly be isolated for COVID 19.
I assume they just gathered together for safety but it looked as though they were lining up to start a race!
We even managed to land without falling in the water.  An amount of wading was needed making it clear that the water was uncold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.