Monday 8 June 2020

A phew phorays around Mallacoota

After a pleasant walk to the Lagoon this morning I took myself off for a ride round the campground to see what was occurring.  I first pulled in at the Inlet depth gauge to see how ir was going.  Getting deeper  seems to be the idea.  It has risen by 16 cm - to 0.56 m -since I first started to think about this measure.
Does anyone record these depths systematically?  If so are they published anywhere - the Mouth would be a good place!

Heading off up towards the high part of the campground I saw an immature Pacific Gull cruising the Lake.  Note the massive bill.  The first of this species I have recorded this year.
After lapping the camp I swung by the Bakery Gazebo to check on the Nankeen Night Heron.  No joy  - it seems to have left the area after many of the branches it used to nest on have been cut off.  (I did notice a fair bit of trade entering the bakery and paying close attention to social distancing - thank you all.)  

Glancing up in to a very fruity Pittosporum I was rewarded with a view of the underside of an Australian King Parrot.  It looked to be contemplating applying some serious beak to the fruit.  There is a lot of the fruit around and if it brings in more King Parrots  that would be very good.  (I have been surprised that the pigeons are not paying attention to the Pittosporum>)
On the way home I noticed a flock of about 40 Little Black Cormorants fly from Coulls Inlet towards the water off the start of the Lagoon Boardwalk.  I usually see Cormorants land and look around before diving for their food.  This lot seemed to angle straight in to the water.  Here are a few, with some Silver Gulls.
After lunch we went for a stroll around the Recycled Water Plant.  The most interesting sighting there was the number of Australian Shelduck.  At least 10 birds around, and on, the first pond.  They were also very vocal which was pleasing.
Epacris impressa is beginning to blossom over the area  With this sample I particularly liked the silver-lined bracts.
There were also some flowers on Dillwynnia sericea and Astroloma humifusum so some nice colours even as we move in to Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.