Wednesday 29 January 2020

A trip to the airport and nearby

I am attempting to get where I can to see what birdlife is left (and what plants and other life are left as well.   It is still difficult to get at most of the places I used to go birding as the tracks are closed off but the Gun Club track was still open. 

Most of the heath has been incinerated but patches of seedy grass have survived and the bracken is growing nicely (boo, hiss).  Doing my usual drive along the airport fence and then out to the Shotgun Range delivered precisely 0 birds.  Going along the track into the forest, but not far into the forest as the wind was quite brisk, and some of the trees are quite large I recorded the only bird of the trip: a White-throated Treecreeper heard calling somewhere in the devastation.

The Allocasuarinas appeared to have been totally burnt.  I'd be surprised if any of them regenerate.  There was some evidence of growth from lignotubers but nothing I could see on the blacked trunks.


 In the middle of a harshly cleared area a few Xerochrysum were providing a splash of colour.
 The greater excitement began with seeing a helicopter arrive with a suspended bucket.
 I had wondered how it would "cast off" the bucket: the idea of a 50m long cable flailing around seemed a little risk-prone.  Indeed: the pilot did a very precise job of laying the cable down on the ground.

Then a military aircraft appeared  - in reverse!  Presumably that was easier than doing a U-turn on a narrow runway.
 A brief pause then a fair bit of noise and up it went.  Using IMHO about 1/4 of the runway!
On the way back I stopped to look at the Cormorant tree at the Betka bridge.  No surprises in that tree but two Great Egrets perched nearby were good to see.


 Aigrettes are definitely better on the bird than on a hat!
Getting back home I spotted the helicopter heading off again dragging its bucket.  Presumably replenished with whatever goodies it was carrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.