Frances has been exploring various tracks off the part of Genoa Rd just West of the built up area, so we decided to take a look at a few spots around noon on the 30th September. It was quite warm and sunny which encouraged Sun Orchids to appear.
There were masses of Spotted Sun Orchids (Thelymitra ixioides) in the slashed area under the power lines opposite Karbeethong Rd.
I think these yellow Sun Orchids are T. flexuosa. Sorry for the blurriness: my phone was keen on focusing on the background (and I am out of practice, so didn't think to take my cap off as a less distracting backdrop).I think this is T. rubra as there is a dark band just visible on the column. There were many of these in the area behind the information sign.
We explored the area leading in to the Water Treatment Plant (NOT Watertrust Rd). Several Large Flying Duck Orchids (Caleana major).
I think this was T. carnea as it was a little plaer pink and no dark band.
A Purple Beard-Orchid (Calochilus robertsonii).
We also explored the start of Captains Creek Firetrail but the area where the used to be many Large Flying Duck Orchids and Brown Beak Orchids has been thoroughly graded so no orchids.
There were a good few other flowers under the power lines. I didn't take a lot of snaps but here are some. I always like Comesperma ericinum.
This next one has me (and iNaturalist) bluffed. It didn't bluff Bryce who identified it as Boronia mulleri: we had considered that but it had very little scent. A distant shot ....
... and a closer one.
A Thelionema lily.
There are still some damp parches in the track beside the power lines and that seemed to be attracting lots of these moths, which iNaturalist has identified as Bogong Moths (Agrotis infusa).
This next one has me (and iNaturalist) bluffed. It didn't bluff Bryce who identified it as Boronia mulleri: we had considered that but it had very little scent. A distant shot ....
... and a closer one.
A Thelionema lily.
There are still some damp parches in the track beside the power lines and that seemed to be attracting lots of these moths, which iNaturalist has identified as Bogong Moths (Agrotis infusa).












No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.