Saturday 3 February 2024

A Pelican count

 Following an email exchange I went for a very rough count of the Pelicans in Bottom Lake (and the mouth of the Betka) this morning.   Here is my summary: I did 5 minute counts and moved on, expecting this caught all the visible birds and avoiding duplication: my total was 62 birds.

I began with a telescope scan from Jacaranda Court looking across at the Goodwin Sands.  As can be seen from this image it was pretty hazy and the water level was high.  The 5 Pelicans were easy to spot, but I might have missed some if they were lurking in the bush on the island.
I then went up to jetty at Schnapper Point Drive where a few have been hanging out on a little reef recently.  The reef was submerged bur there were 8 hanging out on the Jetty.  None swimming around near the Narrows.
A few near Fisheries Jetty (including 1 off the marsh to the left of the Jetty.)  This one flew in, rom Coulls Inlet as I was leaving.
No fisherpersons appeared to be cleaning fish so the horde (21) were still sleeping on Seagull Island rather than scrounging at the wharf.  Only 9 there.

5 were on the exposed island upstream from the Betka causeway.

I noted other species as I saw them but was really concentrating on the Pelicans.  For what it worth here is the list: a good crop of waders from Captain Steve's especially with some residual family funsters over on the sand bars!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.