Tuesday 17 October 2023

Seawatch at Bastion Point

 On 16 October the weather in the afternoon was rather foul and those who turned up to croquet decided not to play.  However, looking over to Bastion Point I noticed a good sized flock of Gannets close inshore so went home and got my camera and telescope.  It was spectacular, with hundreds of Gannets and an uncountable number of shearwaters.  When I first looked the Gannets were fishing, but on return they were mainly passing by.

If anyone can identify Shearwaters other than Short-tailed I'd be pleased to hear about it.



The next three images give an idea of the number of Shearwaters.


The main flock of Gannets was quite a distance out and tended to come through in pulses.
Distances can be deceiving.  The Gull is much smaller than the Gannet but was much closer in.
A Gannet and 2 Crested Terns.
2 Crested Terns.
I also kept my eyes on the rocks so spotted this Eastern Reef Egret.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.